A big thanks to New York Intergroup created this to help meetings cope with meeting disruptions online.
Download a PDF of the guide here
1. Mute All Participants and Disable Self-Unmuting (Stop The Noise!)
- Click the Manage Participate icon (Yellow arrow below)
- Click Mute All (Red arrow)
- Click More (Blue arrow)
- Uncheck Allow Participants to Unmute Themselves
Note: Hosts will then have to unmute Participants anytime that they wish to speak when the meeting resumes.
2. Turn Off a Participant’s Video and Remove Participant
- Identify the disruptive participant(s) and hover your mouse over the right corner of that person’s video
- Click the blue square with three white dots (Yellow arrow below):
- A list of options appears (Yellow arrow below)
- You may stop the video of the participant and/or remove the person from the meeting (Red arrows)
- After removing, proceed to step 3 as disruptors may simply rejoin the meeting if you don’t continue to secure the session in progress
- You will also find the Stop Video option and Remove option (Red arrow below) by hovering your mouse over the names in the Participants list on the right side of your screen and clicking More
3. Locking the Meeting
- To lock a meeting and prevent anyone from joining the meeting for that session, click “More” under the Participants list (Blue arrow below), which will bring up the option “Lock Meeting” (Red arrow)
- Please note after the meeting is locked, no one will be able to join the meeting. The policy of locking a meeting may be a matter to be taken up in a Group Conscience
4. Preventing “Zoom Group Chat” Abuse
- Many groups have elected to change the settings on the chat box to enable Participants to send messages only to the Host
- To restrict chat, click the three dots at the bottom of the chat box (Column 1 below, yellow arrow) and select “Host Only” (Column 2, Red arrow):
5. Preventing “Share Screen” Abuse
- To prevent “Share Screen” abuse, many groups allow only the hosts to share their screens. To limit the ability to share screen…
- Click the arrow next to “Share Screen” (Blue arrow below)
- Select “Advanced Sharing Options…” (Yellow arrow).
- Selecting “Advanced Sharing Options…” brings up the dialog box below. Select “Host Only” (Red arrow)
What should you do if your meeting is disrupted?
- Mute All Participants and Disable Self-Unmuting
- Turn off a Participant’s Video and Remove Participant
- Locking a Meeting
- Preventing Zoom Group Chat Abuse
- Preventing Share Screen Abuse